Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Mangia Mango for the Halibut (Halibut with Mango Salsa)





Growing up in Winnipeg (which for those of you that don't know is smack dab in the centre of Canada) fresh seafood was limited.  The world seemed a lot smaller then, grocery stores weren't like they are today.  You couldn't walk into Safeway and pick-up fresh prawns, live crab or lobster.  Winnipeg's fresh fish choices were Pickerel (called Walleye in the USA) or Smoked Goldeye.  Once or twice a year, Dominion would get a shipment of frozen pink salmon and mom would always buy one or two. I remember the first time I tasted fresh salmon while on a family vacation to British Columbia and staying with my Aunt B.  I remember my parents eating trays of fresh oysters on that trip, but as a kid there was no way that I would eat one.

While you can buy fresh seafood anywhere in Canada now, I feel lucky to be living in British Columbia where I have so many options on where to purchase fresh seafood.  I have 3 fish mongers within walking distance of our home.  Our local grocery store held a Halibut fare this weekend.  They had a fishing boat on dry dock in their parking lot and offered 10,000 pounds of Halibut for sale.  Needless to say, I purchased some.

J and I love fish/seafood.  In fact, we eat fish an average of twice a week.  We tend to sway towards wild  - never farmed - BC Salmon (the best in the world), Halibut or Prawns.  In my opinion, you can do as much with fish/seafood as you can with chicken/turkey (our other family meal staples).

Since it is spring, I wanted to prepare something colourful.  What could be more colourful and fresh tasting that Mango Salsa.  Here is my interpretation of Halibut with Mango Salsa.


Mango Salsa Ingredients

1 mango, peeled, seeded and diced
2 Tablespoons Red Onion, finely diced
2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
1/2 Red Pepper, finely diced
1/3 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
1 green onion, sliced diagonally
pinch of salt

Gently mix ingredients together, cover and chill until serving.  You don't want to end up with mashed mango!

Halibut

2 3-5 ounce halibut fillets
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Brush halibut fillets with extra virgin olive oil then season with salt and pepper.  Place on a preheated grill pan and grill each side for 3 minutes.  The fish will flake easily and be opaque when done.

Top with a healthy dollop of Mango Salsa when plating.


Note: 

  • This recipe serves 2, adjust quantities as required.  
  • For extra 'kick', add 1 seeded, finely diced jalapeƱo pepper to the salsa. 



No comments:

Post a Comment