Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Red Velvet (not the cake) - Caesar Salad



When I was young, my parents and I would go out for dinner with my Aunt L and Uncle G almost every Sunday.  One of my dad's favorite restaurants was Hy's Steak Loft, so we went there often.  As a kid I didn't know that it was expensive, I just remember loving the brass swan faucet and taps in the women's washroom and the red velvet on the dining room chairs.

In grade 4 we had an art project where we were asked to bring in samples of material.  I don't remember what we made, but I carry a strong memory of a bitchy comment from my teacher.  Someone had brought in a piece of beautiful red velvet material.  In the innocence of childhood, I commented that it was just like the chairs at Hy's Steak Loft.  I don't recall what my teacher said back to me, but I remember being very hurt and confused.  I remember that she made me feel that what I said was wrong and I couldn't understand why.  Funny how stupid some adults are.

When we went to Hy's, I'd always order the Smoked Goldeye which I remember they would debone at the table for you.  We also always ordered Caesar Salad, which was made table side.  We all loved the Caesar Salad.  Over the years, I've tried a number of recipes, but have settled on this one from Anna Magazine - Issue 9.  I've tweaked it a bit to suit my taste (but that is what you are supposed to do with recipes right?)

I was given my first copy of Anna Magazine by my sister-in-law who gifted me with a subscription for Christmas.  For those of your not familiar with Anna Magazine, it is published in Winnipeg.  It's available at many locations Canada-wide and at Annamagazine.ca

What is your favourite salad?





Caesar Salad

2 heads of Romaine Lettuce, washed, direct and chopped
4 slices of Prosciutto (see note)
2 cups homemade croutons (see note) 

Dressing
2 cloves Garlic
2 Anchovies
dash freshly cracked Black Pepper
2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard (see note)
1 tablespoon Mayonnaise (see note)
1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated

For the dressing, crush and mash the garlic and anchovies into a mixing bowl.  Add all remaining dressing ingredients except the cheese and oil.  Whisk together until smooth.  While continuing to whisk, gradually add the Olive Oil.  Continue to whisk until emulsified.  Stir in half of the cheese and refrigerate until ready to toss.

In a skillet fry the prosciutto until crisp.  Drain and crumble.  Set aside to cool slightly.

Toss the lettuce, prosciutto and croutons with the dressing.  Top with remaining cheese and serve immediately.


Serves 6-8

Note:
  • I don't add the prosciutto to my Caesar Salad.
  • To make the croutons, cube fresh bread (I use a multigrain baguette).  Spread onto baking sheet.  Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and 1 teaspoon Italian Spice Mix.  Bake at 300F for 10-15 minutes, checking and shaking the baking sheet mid-way through.  I like my croutons toasted, but not hard.  I like them to soak up some of the dressing when tossed. 
  • J doesn't like Dijon, so I use 1/4 teaspoon of Dijon Mustard and 1/4 teaspoon of dry mustard.
  • I use the Hellmann's Light Olive Oil Mayonnaise.  If you like you can reduce the fat further, by cutting this in half with Greek Yogurt.  I personally wouldn't eliminate the mayonnaise entirely unless you are adding an egg yolk in it's place.  
  • The original recipe calls for Fried Halloumi Cheese Cubes in place of the croutons, but I believe that Caesar Salad must have bread croutons so I've not mentioned them in the ingredient list above.  

The original recipe for Anna Magazine, Caesar Salad with Prosciutto and Halloumi Croutons can be found on annamagazine.ca 


No comments:

Post a Comment