Monday, June 17, 2013

Venus and the Crocus - Scallops with Saffron Sauce



As you know, J & I are from Manitoba where the provincial flower is the Crocus.  As a child, I remember always loving the crocus.  Little did I know that one day I would melt at the aroma and taste from the stigma of the Saffron Crocus.

Saffron is the world's most expensive spice.  It sells from $500 - $5,000 US$.  It has a sweet, gentle favour and a stunning golden-red colour.  You can use the stigmas whole or grind them to better dissolve them and bring a stronger saffron flavour to your dish.  I recommend buying the best saffron that you can afford.  I'm lucky to have many Persian Food Stores nearby and so have an abundant supply to choose from.

The scallop shell has long been associated with fertility, Botticelli's Birth of Venus cemented that image for eternity.  The scallop shell appears on Princess Diana's Spencer family coat of arms as well as both Prince William and Prince Harry's personal coat of arms.

Scallops are probably my favorite shellfish.  They are mild tasting and a good source of Vitamin B12 and Omega3 fatty acids.  They're richer than Prawns so a few go a long way.

When I think of this dish, I think of my Aunt K.  She was my paternal Grandmother's sister.  Aunt K was always the perfect lady.  She had strawberry blonde hair and big blue eyes.  She was very beautiful and so elegant.  Aunt K worked as the personal chef for one of Winnipeg's wealthiest families.  She would cook amazing dishes and introduced many of those dishes to us at family dinners.  Whenever someone important was in Winnipeg, Mrs. C would hold a dinner party so Aunt K had the opportunity to cook for many famous people.  Mom tells my that Aunt K even cooked for Frank Sinatra once.  I'd love to be able to talk to her about some of those parties!

I don't know that Aunt K ever cooked Scallops or with Saffron, but Scallops with Saffron Sauce is something that I imagine her preparing for one the C family's dinner parties.

This recipe is based on one from the Silver Spoon Cookbook which was originally published in Italy in the 1950s and became a staple wedding gift to Italian brides.  Although it's English translation is awkward and some of the measurements don't make sense - it is considered one of the bibles of Italian Cooking.  I'll provide the recipe as it appears in the Silver Spoon Cookbook, then tell you the changes that I've made to it.


Scallops with Saffron Sauce

12 Scallops
1 Carrot, diced
1 Green Onion, thinly sliced
3/4 cup Dry White Wine
1/4 cup Butter, cubed
1 tablespoon Heavy Cream
pinch Saffron Threads
Salt to taste
3 tablespoons of Italian Parsley, chopped

Add the carrot, green onion, wine and salt in a pan.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes

Add the scallops and cook for an additional 4 minutes.  Remove the scallops with a slotted spoon, half them and place on a serving dish.

Boil the cooking juices until reduced, then stir in the butter, scream and saffron.

Pour the hot sauce over the scallops and garnish with parsley.

NOTE:  

  • I prepare this dish very differently.  The thought of boiling scallops doesn't appeal to me.  I also don't like overcooked carrots.  I add about 3-4 tablespoons of diced red pepper to the carrots because I think that the flavour enhances the dish and really like the added red colour.
  • I add the wine to a small sauce pan and bring simmer, reducing it for 5-10 minutes. 
  • While the sauce is simmering, I saute the carrots, red pepper and green onion over low heat.  I use the EVOO spray from Costco to oil my pan prior to cooking.
  • After the wine has reduced by half, I add saffron, cream, butter and stir until the butter has melted and thickened the sauce.  I should also mention that I reduce the butter by half.  The purpose of the butter is to thicken the sauce and to make is glisten which can still be accomplished by using just a few tablespoons of it.
  • As soon as I've add the saffron to the sauce, I start to saute the scallops (which I have seasoned with a little salt and pepper) in a pan also oiled by a few blasts of Costco's EVOO spray.  The scallops get 2 minutes per side.  Don't overcrowd the scallops and resist the temptation to peak under them as they cook.
  • I don't cut the scallops in half - I buy enough to feed my guests.  Please don't skimp by halving the scallops!
  • I serve this with Risotto and a green salad with balsamic dressing.  Usually I just make a simple Parmesan Risotto, but today couldn't resist the urge to add some Saffron to my Risotto - both J and I thought that result paired perfectly with the Scallops.
  • For today's recipe, I skipped the parsley garnish ('cause I forgot to buy parsley)!

Inspired by the Silver Spoon Cookbook and my beautiful Aunt K

1 comment:

  1. Made this last night it was Delish!, I made plain rice because I've never made risotto. It was really good. ;-)

    ReplyDelete